Saturday, April 28, 2012

Hand Printed Slipcover for Vintage Settee

All right, let me just tell you, I am THRILLED with the result of my recent slipcover endeavor.  Remember the vintage settee I wrote about here, here and here? Well, I am finally finished and can't wait to show you how it turned out!! I actually finished this back on April 17th, but I took so many pictures, I had to go through them all, decide which ones were best and get them loaded on the laptop. Plus, for every project I write about, there are roughly ten others on the sidelines in various stages of progress. I twirl a lot of plates! I will let the pictures mostly speak for themselves, but I have to say again, this project turned out better than I had expected! I am so, so, so happy with the result. So here is a recap:

Started with this


Inspired by this
and this
via



   Made this stencil


Printed this fabric
(six and a half yards of heavy white canvas)


Most of my fabric pieces had to have a curved shape, either cut on the bias or cut actually curved on the fabric itself.
This is an 'interior' shot of how I put things together. Even though I cut curves into the pieces, some parts still needed a dart here and there to ease the curves along. Here you can see some of those extra seams. This thing has more nips and tucks than Joan Rivers!


And made a slipcover






Not one to shy away from detail, I even printed the underside of the cushion platform.








So there you have it! 

I wish I could give you a step-by-step sewing tutorial, but my methods are a bit in-exact, what I refer to as 'hack and slice.' I really just draped the fabric roughly in it's place, lightly drew the outline for that piece on the settee (back, side piece, backrest, cushion pieces, etc.)cut it out, and pinned it all together before sewing to make sure it fit together properly. Because I printed my own fabric, six yards was enough since I wasn't having to match up the print on any two pieces. Cost breakdown: $40-61/2 yards of white canvas, $8-one quart of interior, flat paint in Grape Jelly by Martha Stewart and $5.99-two packs of stencil vellum. Settee was free. So based on the price of the couch I listed above as an inspiration for this, I saved $5946.01!! Ay, that's a lot of paisley! I will write later about some other changes I made to this area as a result of the slipcover being finished. As they say, one finished project prompts 5 others! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you like the settee; I really, really love it!

14 comments:

The House at Bluebird Lane said...

Wow! You did an amazing job on the slip cover. Love the settee! Visiting you from Addicted 2 Decorating. Have a wonderful weekend. :-)

gina said...

WOW! Great job!

Rhonda@restoredtreasurestoo said...

Wow! That is amazing!

GirlRural.com said...

Wow, this turned out great! Slipcovers are always a fun challenge as no two seem to be the same. Great work.

Katie said...

This turned out awesome!! I love the rug and the locker you have in there too! Awesome!

folkhaven said...

Oh my... this is astounding! It looks fantastic and that you were able to do it your self via your "hack and slice' method makes my jaw drop. I love that you stenciled even under the cushion. And the nips and tucks comment made me laugh. :-)

Cher-Ann Texter said...

So awesome! I love the look!

www.designsbystudioc.com

Chedva said...

So cool! Love this.

DIY Show Off said...

Wow, Laura! You rock! I love the new stenciled slipcover! Beautiful work! I'm going to include a link back in this week's highlights! ;) Thanks so much for sharing your hard work and creativity!

decor4poor@blogspot.com said...

Holy Crap you decorating is awesome! I love all the things you came up with. I can't wait till I have time to go through it all. Finally a blog that isn't all pottery barn style.

Laura/Hayestone/Design Share said...

Thanks so much everybody for all the sweet comments! They simply make my day!

Anonymous said...

I pulled this link from Apartment Therapy. Man oh Man...not only did you make that satee georgeous but your entire space is beautiful. The way you made the curtains look like Moroccan windows..brillant.

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust said...

Hello Blog Friend, It is my pleasure to feature your wonderful settee in my Fabulous Friday Favorites post tonight. I do sew, & I have such an appreciation for the difficulty of this project. You did an amazing job. Thank you so much for linking up & please feel to take an "I Was Featured" button if you like. Hope to see you again next Friday!

Warmly, Michelle

Carrie @ lovely etc. said...

What an awesome transformation! Thanks for sharing the link of my inexpensive fabrics post. I love what you were able to create for so little money. Very creative.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...